A few weeks ago Becka left her Razr V3c in her jacket pocket and put it through the washing machine. After about 15 minutes she realized her phone was in the washer and stopped it. The phone was completely soaked and had soap all over it. She immediately took the battery out, and then we washed it off with regular water. Becka wanted to just go and get a replacement, but I wanted to try and dry it out. I took a few pictures with my camera phone of what we did.
Becka’s mom has a food dehydrator. We were able to get the internal temperature at a constant 150 degrees fahrenheit. I was hoping the hot, dry air would fix the phone.
For most of the drying we had the phone open on its front or back, with the lid on the dehydrator. But at the end I left it open with the phone on its side.
For about 4 hours we let the phone dry out. Then we took it out and put the battery back in and turned it back on. It booted up fine and everything seemed to be working. The screen was not damaged and displayed everything properly. However, a few buttons did not work. The round “ok” button and numbers 5, 7 and 9 didn’t respond when you pressed them.
Unfortunately my experiment in drying out a phone was a failure. Luckily I pay for the insurance so we were able to get it replaced for fifty dollars.